• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT-Is the realtor lying to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilliskikus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello. I'm about to sell a house but I don't know if I'm being paranoid or something is actually going on.

I specified that I wasn't going to be working with a realtor, but the buyer doesn't speak English so he brought a "friend" who just happens to be a realtor to translate. Said friend also prepared the seller/buyer contract. When I let them know which title company I wanted to work with, the realtor said that the buyer has the right to choose and that he wanted a different company, I just found out that in 2011 they commited fraud

When we signed the sales agreement we did it outside of the property against a wall, I found that a bit informal. The realtor didn't give us any copies, he emailed them to us the next day. The buyer paid the earnest money with a personal check, when I bought the house I was told I needed to pay with a cashiers check. Under special provision on the agreement it says "selling agent is a residential mortgage originator", which I'm not, the realtor says that refers to him, I wonder if that's true. The title company asked for the sellers information via email, so they don't have our actual signatures nor copies of our IDs or social security cards, when I purchased the house that was a requirement. The fact that they asked for our social security numbers via email didn't make me feel any better.
When an extension on the closing date was requested, we only had to "virtually sign" an extension document.

The thing that made me worry even more was a phone call that I received yesterday. They were asking for "the Chinese guy selling the house", the buyer IS Asian, I am not and the house isn't technically his, yet. I don't know if I should worry about this.

The closing is scheduled for Monday, neither the title company nor the realtor have given me a time, which also sounds a bit weird to me.

I wonder if something fraudulent might be going on or if I'm just being paranoid!
Thanks for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello. I'm about to sell a house but I don't know if I'm being paranoid or something is actually going on.

I specified that I wasn't going to be working with a realtor, but the buyer doesn't speak English so he brought a "friend" who just happens to be a realtor to translate. Said friend also prepared the seller/buyer contract. When I let them know which title company I wanted to work with, the realtor said that the buyer has the right to choose and that he wanted a different company, I just found out that in 2011 they commited fraud

When we signed the sales agreement we did it outside of the property against a wall, I found that a bit informal. The realtor didn't give us any copies, he emailed them to us the next day. The buyer paid the earnest money with a personal check, when I bought the house I was told I needed to pay with a cashiers check. Under special provision on the agreement it says "selling agent is a residential mortgage originator", which I'm not, the realtor says that refers to him, I wonder if that's true. The title company asked for the sellers information via email, so they don't have our actual signatures nor copies of our IDs or social security cards, when I purchased the house that was a requirement. The fact that they asked for our social security numbers via email didn't make me feel any better.
When an extension on the closing date was requested, we only had to "virtually sign" an extension document.

The thing that made me worry even more was a phone call that I received yesterday. They were asking for "the Chinese guy selling the house", the buyer IS Asian, I am not and the house isn't technically his, yet. I don't know if I should worry about this.

The closing is scheduled for Monday, neither the title company nor the realtor have given me a time, which also sounds a bit weird to me.

I wonder if something fraudulent might be going on or if I'm just being paranoid!
Thanks for your help!
Other than the phone call you got, nothing in there sounds particularly weird to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">