• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of the word "realty" for business and website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PHutch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Can I use the word 'realty' in my business name/LLC and my website domain in Pennsylvania?

I would like my LLC to be MyLastName Realty group, and my domain to be MyLastNameRealtyGroup.com Thank you

justalayman

The word; realty is a generic term so it would be available to use. Not knowing what your name is it is impossible to say whether you could use the combination of your name along with realty. If another person/group already uses your name in a realty business, it could preclude you from using your name. You should check federal and state trademark registers.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Can I use the word 'realty' in my business name/LLC and my website domain in Pennsylvania?

I would like my LLC to be MyLastName Realty group, and my domain to be MyLastNameRealtyGroup.com Thank you
The word "realty" is not a trademark. You can use the word realty in your business name and in your website domain name.

You cannot, however, use the word "Realtor®" or "Realtors®" or "Realtor-Associates®" (unless they apply to you and your company) as those marks are registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

You can use "MyLastName" if your last name does not infringe on the rights of anyone who is currently using that name as a trademark in the same or similar business. Your business name cannot confuse consumers into thinking your realty group is that of another already-existing realty group or company.

Here is a link to the National Association of Realtors® "Membership Marks Manual," followed by a link to the USPTO with a challenge to the Realtor® trademark, claiming it is generic and can be used by anyone (it can't ;)).

http://www.realtor.org/letterlw.nsf/pages/mmmPartTwo

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/foia/ttab/other/2004/92032360.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">