• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdewbre

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have a quick question for you all since my back is pretty well against the wall here.
so here's the story: In April of last year I made the mistake of getting a roomate that i thought was a decent guy. I left my place and we found a 2 bed apartment.
When the time came to turn on utilities not covered by the landlord, (Gas and Electric) he went ahead and turned on the gas himself. I thought nothing of it, and went with it. The first bill came in, he left it out in the open and i saw the fist charge was almost $700. I asked him about it, and he said it was outstanding debts from the last couple places he was at. That raised a red flag to me, and from there on I refused to put my name on the contract with the gas provider because I didn't want to inherit his debt. He left about a week ago with no warning whatsoever, and didn't shut off the gas service. I tried contacting him and his phone has since been disconnected so i'm unable to reach him. Now here I am trying to get the service put in my name, and the company is telling me that I owe them the delinquent bill he refused to pay on prior to him moving here. Am I stuck inheriting that $700 debt he left behind? I don't think I should have any obligation to cover his mistakes but they keep telling me that since he signed a lease with me, I'm responsible for any unpaid debts he let behind when he fell off the face of the earth. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have a quick question for you all since my back is pretty well against the wall here.
so here's the story: In April of last year I made the mistake of getting a roomate that i thought was a decent guy. I left my place and we found a 2 bed apartment.
When the time came to turn on utilities not covered by the landlord, (Gas and Electric) he went ahead and turned on the gas himself. I thought nothing of it, and went with it. The first bill came in, he left it out in the open and i saw the fist charge was almost $700. I asked him about it, and he said it was outstanding debts from the last couple places he was at. That raised a red flag to me, and from there on I refused to put my name on the contract with the gas provider because I didn't want to inherit his debt. He left about a week ago with no warning whatsoever, and didn't shut off the gas service. I tried contacting him and his phone has since been disconnected so i'm unable to reach him. Now here I am trying to get the service put in my name, and the company is telling me that I owe them the delinquent bill he refused to pay on prior to him moving here. Am I stuck inheriting that $700 debt he left behind? I don't think I should have any obligation to cover his mistakes but they keep telling me that since he signed a lease with me, I'm responsible for any unpaid debts he let behind when he fell off the face of the earth. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
The gas company is NOT going to provide gas to you when you share the debt of the gas since you moved in with him in April. The first amount paid off is the oldest debt. You were living with him. Why should the gas company eat the debt? You pay it and then sue your roommate.

latigo

Hello,
No!

You are not "stuck" with "the gas bill he refused to pay prior to moving there"! No more than you are responsible for his credit card accounts, child support or bar tab.

But why haven't you complained to DORA - Colorado's Department of Regulatory Agencies?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">