• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility bill

• Thread starter jeffersonpointe
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeffersonpointe

Hello,

I left my apartment (Tallahassee, FL) in the period mid July to late August. When I came back my AC was set to 60F (I turned it off when I left), the ligth was on and the toilet was running in one of the other units in the apartment.
(my apartment consists of three units, each is individually rented and if a unit stays empty it is the landlords responsibility to cover the cost for that unit.)

The result was that my utility bill exploded to $700. I usually pay $80 a month. The running toilet had used over 120000 gallons of water! Moreover, the electricity usage had more than doubled.

I have contacted management in writing and by phone, but no response. So my question is, do I have to cover the whole utility bill?

Thank you.

Ken

P

peter

do you have a police report?

any sign of a breakin?

and why is you water bill so high if the toilet running is in another apartment?

J

jeffersonpointe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
do you have a police report?

No.

any sign of a breakin?
No. I believe that management did some repair work over the summer, and forgot to turn off the AC.

and why is you water bill so high if the toilet running is in another apartment?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All three units run on the same meter.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffersonpointe:
Hello,

I left my apartment (Tallahassee, FL) in the period mid July to late August. When I came back my AC was set to 60F (I turned it off when I left), the ligth was on and the toilet was running in one of the other units in the apartment.
(my apartment consists of three units, each is individually rented and if a unit stays empty it is the landlords responsibility to cover the cost for that unit.)

The result was that my utility bill exploded to $700. I usually pay $80 a month. The running toilet had used over 120000 gallons of water! Moreover, the electricity usage had more than doubled.

I have contacted management in writing and by phone, but no response. So my question is, do I have to cover the whole utility bill?

Thank you.

Ken
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you are only responsible for your prorated share (which would be one third)
unless you were negligent and failed to report a plumbing problem in your unit. What does your written lease state with respect to the payment of utilities and who does the water bill go to and whose name is it in? I hope it is not in your name.

J

jeffersonpoin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
No, you are only responsible for your prorated share (which would be one third)
unless you were negligent and failed to report a plumbing problem in your unit. What does your written lease state with respect to the payment of utilities and who does the water bill go to and whose name is it in? I hope it is not in your name.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am responsible for the water usage in my unit and management for the two other units in the apartment (since the are empty, according to the lease). In sum, water was running in a toilet which I am not responsible for.

Ken

T

Tracey

1. File a break-in report with police, listing the thermostat as evidence of the break-in. Refuse to pay the water bill, since the usage was caused by a running toilet in another apartment. You can't get L to pay the utility bill unless you can find evidence that L or a repair person was in your apt while you were gone, but no one else was. If you have that kind of evidence, sue L in small claims court immediately. Talk to maintainence personnel & ask to see the records for the building during the time you were gone. In the mean time, you have to pay the bill. Get your suit started post haste.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">