• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility easements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cayenne

I live in Texas. I recently had a survey conducted on property that I am trying to sell. Interestingly, the survey concluded that the city had encroached on to my property when they paved and curbed a public parking area.
I notified them and they had the survey qualified with one of their own and concluded I was correct - they had encroached. There is a remedy in place for that which we have negotiated. But my real question is this: The power company has a general feed (high voltage) line running over my property with a pole inside my property line. This is a small lot and their pole is a nuisance. What, if anything, can I do to correct this? I have even contemplated invoicing them for rent of the land they have used for a number of years. I do understand the concepts 'right of way' and 'easement' but I can't find anyone who can tell me if the power company has the right to place a pole on t someone's property for the transmission of electricity. As I say, this is not just a feeder pole with a residential line. It is a high voltage pole and, to make matters worse, they have butchered trees, also on my property, over the years, to keep their wires clear of branches (a common and understood necessity). I really thought that utility poles, especially those of the high voltage variety, would not be placed on the private property of homeowners. Especially since there is a lot of room, outside of my small property, for their poles to be placed. Does anyone have information that would shed some 'light' on this? And please pardon the pun.

Joe

HomeGuru

There should already be a current easement of record in favor of the utilty company. If not they could get one without too much trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">