• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lseverso

What is the name of your state? South Carolina.

Feb. 2001 my wife and I went to a sales presentation for vacation rentals. It was one of those deals where it sounded to good to be true and we were suckered in to purchasing it.

The scheme was 8 one week rentals at 3 to 5 star resorts for $3000, $700 upfront with $70 payments for the next three years at no interest. For each week we took we would get another 2 day 3 night vacation. Sounds pretty good so far.

This price did not include $200 dollars a year for taxes and other fees for the room. $89 each time you scheduled a vacation. Still not to bad. These prices were for off seasons. Not a problem we like to go on vacation when it is not so crowded. Prime season add another $30 per day if you go during prime time. We informed the sales people that we had 5 in our family. They told us each room could hold 5 to 6 people. Any extra rooms would be $25 per day.

Well we told them we had not planned to take a vacation till atleast late in 2002. Several weeks ago we decided to schedule a vacation. So we started looking thru the info they had given to us, every place we wanted to go was prime season practically all year around. We contacted them about this and they told us they determine prime season and do not follow the hotel/tourism prime seasons. They gave us some great suggestions of going to Wisc. in the middle of winter, Arkansas in the middle of winter, you get the picture.

We also noticed that the rules stated only 4 persons to a room so we would have to add another $25 a day for another room.

They would not let us take the deal home and reveiw their figures and told us the deal would not be available the next day and some other excuses not to let us out of there. We signed the contract and gave them $700 dollars and we happily went on our way. After reviewing the plan when we wanted to schedule the vacation we found we really got screwed. There figures when we were in there were $300 to $400 per week. Also they said the week was 7 nights 8 days, and said we got an extra day. BS, after looking at the info it is a normal 6days 7 nights and we can only use 2 weeks a year. After figuring total cost of the vacation it ended up being close to $1200 / wk. That is after adding the registration, yearly fees, extra room and prime season.

We contacted the company and in the contract the had it written that the had the right of recision. They explained we could cancel the contract but we would not receive any of the money back that we had paid in, approx. $1400.

My question is, is it legal, ethical or good buisness for them to keep the money we paid in even though no services or vacations were ever used? Is there any way to get my money back? I don't think they are to willing to return it.

Help me!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">