• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of Quit Claim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hg96

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have an elderly acquaintance who is very distraught because he met someone at bingo, invited him to be a roommate to share the expenses of his very nice condo on the Gulf of Mexico. The roommate told him that they were going to the bank to open a joint account to pay the household expenses. At the bank, my friend signed a quit claim deed to the roommate without realizing what he had done until later. After the signing the roommate became hostile and has threatened my friend and says that he will take all of the money out of his accounts and that there is nothing he can do, because now he is part owner. My friend says that the roommate has never paid any expenses, he pays them all. He is very afraid of this man.

Is the quit claim deed valid? An elder welfare official has been sent to the house, but my friend is too afraid to tell her how bad things are.

divgradcurl

Is the quit claim deed valid?
If it meets the requirements for a deed in your county, then it is presumptively a valid deed.

An elder welfare official has been sent to the house, but my friend is too afraid to tell her how bad things are.
If the friend won't help him or herself, there is probably little that can be done. Maybe he or she would be better off talking with a lawyer.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have an elderly acquaintance who is very distraught because he met someone at bingo, invited him to be a roommate to share the expenses of his very nice condo on the Gulf of Mexico. The roommate told him that they were going to the bank to open a joint account to pay the household expenses. At the bank, my friend signed a quit claim deed to the roommate without realizing what he had done until later. After the signing the roommate became hostile and has threatened my friend and says that he will take all of the money out of his accounts and that there is nothing he can do, because now he is part owner. My friend says that the roommate has never paid any expenses, he pays them all. He is very afraid of this man.

Is the quit claim deed valid? An elder welfare official has been sent to the house, but my friend is too afraid to tell her how bad things are.
**A: the deed could be declared void but it takes court adjudication. He needs to seek legal counsel immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">