• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Terry_A

I made a verbal agreement with the property owner of the house I have been renting for the past seven years to purchase the property outright.

We settled in on a price a little over six months ago. At the time we made the agreement, the seller asked if I would be willing to hold off on the purchase of the property until the first of the upcoming year (2002) in order to help her avoid paying the taxes in the current year's end.

I let her know that I didn't have a problem withthis request since we have been friends an I hve been renting from her for so long.

In early Januaryof 2002, I contacted her and asked her if she was ready to proceed with the sell of the house. She said yes and I proceeded to get the paperwork started through a local mortage company.

I received a phone call last night from the seller and was informed that she wants another 15K for the house. Do I have any legal recourse against her for void our agreement. Remember this agreement was at this point only in writing.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give on this matter.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

In your first paragraph, you say your agreement is verbal. Then you end your story with the statement "Remember this agreement was at this point only in writing."

Which is it ?

IAAL

T

Terry_A

I apologize for an error on my original posting. This agreement was strictly a verbal agreement. There has been no agreemetn put down on paper.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Terry_A said:
I apologize for an error on my original posting. This agreement was strictly a verbal agreement. There has been no agreemetn put down on paper.
My response:

Then, in that case, you've got nothing. Agreements concerning Real Property must be in writing to be enforceable.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">