• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal agreements between roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kudama

I own a cat that I've had for 4-5 years. My roommate asked me if it would be OK for her to get a kitten from her parents' house. I said yes, provided that she take care of it and with the condition that if my cat did not adapt to its presence in about a month, that it would have to go back and live with her folks. She agreed. It has been a week and my cat is still terrified and showing signs of acute stress. This could still improve and my roommate would likely keep her word. I'm worried about the possibility that it won't and she won't. I know this may seem petty, but I'm very attached to my cat and she's in a really bad place. If the situation arises, I would really like to avoid having to move out to protect my cat's sanity. How binding (legally) is a verbal agreement, and if I have to fight this, does the fact that I have lived there longer count for anything? I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time but this is a big deal for me. Any advice will help. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">