• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wage garnishment after eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

woodsn3

we are being evicted and I was told that after we move out, if we haven't paid the back rent, the landlord can garnish my husbands wages (25% a month + $200-$300 for each month they garnish). Is this true? Can't we set up arrangements to pay so the garnishment doesn't cost us extra? We also don't want this to occur because we don't want my husband's new employer knowing! what can we do? thanks for your time.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woodsn3:
we are being evicted and I was told that after we move out, if we haven't paid the back rent, the landlord can garnish my husbands wages (25% a month + $200-$300 for each month they garnish). Is this true? Can't we set up arrangements to pay so the garnishment doesn't cost us extra? We also don't want this to occur because we don't want my husband's new employer knowing! what can we do? thanks for your time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there is already a court action, go to court and work out a settlement payment schedule with the landlord. Agree to a stipulation that the payment schedule be a court agreed settlement.
If no court action, still do the same thing. If the landlord gets a default judgement against you, he can use the judgement and file for garnishee.

Garnishee amounts are set up according to State law and I can neither confirm nor deny your exact figures.

The bottomline is to communicate with your landlord and work something out to avoid the garnishment of wages and employer notification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">