• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to evict...How Long? How Much?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Had Enough!

I would like to evict a tenant for Failing to let my realtor in to show the house which is for sale, changing her locks, and non payment of lasts months rent. Is this going to cost a bundle and do you have to pay lawyers upfront? It seems tenants have more rights than Landlords. She is a tenant at will {No Lease}. I have a buyer for the house on contigency of seeing her apartment.

T

Tracey

Sue her for locking you out. This is an absolute winner -- T may not act in a way that denies L's title to the property. If you ask for it, the court will order an expidited hearing & order T to give you a key & allow the prospective buyer to see the apt. This is called injunctive relief.

Also, serve her with formal written notice that you're terminating her tenancy. If you post your state, we can point you to the laws you need.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

N

need to know

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Sue her for locking you out. This is an absolute winner -- T may not act in a way that denies L's title to the property. If you ask for it, the court will order an expidited hearing & order T to give you a key & allow the prospective buyer to see the apt. This is called injunctive relief.

Also, serve her with formal written notice that you're terminating her tenancy. If you post your state, we can point you to the laws you need.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
NY State??

T

Tracey

The landlord tenant laws are in NY Consolidated Laws, Real Property, Article 7.

Deliver written notice to T or tape it to T's door on or before 8/1 for T to vacate by 8/31. [7-228, 7-232] This notice will be effective whether she's a tenant at will or a month-to-month tenant. You should be able to get the forms you need to evict her or request an injunction forcing her to give you a key & show the place from a landlord's association or a legal forms supplier. There are also probably books at the library.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">