• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to be taken off mortgage note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kingsley

15 years ago I co-signed with a live-in partner a mortgage note for a condo in CT. We subsequently parted 10 years ago; I, under the impression that my signature was only on the deed, not the note. 2 years ago, while being pre-qualified for a mortgage the loan appeared on my credit check. The note has been sold twice; when I contacted the 1st Finance company they were very uncooperative toward my plight, which is to remove my name from the note.

I have not had contact with my ex-partner for the past 10 years-I believe he works overseas for a company in the U.S. Records show he has made every payment to the loan company (on time). I have never written a check to the holder(s) of the note, nor claimed deductions on my Federal taxes.

After my first experience, I am reluctant to hire a lawyer without any guarantee that the loan company will consent to removing my name. (I would assume the loan company will want to refinance-expenses I don't want to incur). In your opinion, will it be difficult to get off the note and if so could I find a Mortgage firm that will accept this risk if I show them Bank and tax statement proving I haven't been involved monetarily and that, in the event of death or default of payments, I could carry both mortgages until the property was sold. (Credit excellent, no debt, additional liquid funds totaling 1/2 the balance due).

T

Tracey

Getting the bank to let you off the mortgage will be a stone b*tch. If your ex won't refinance, the bank won't let you out from under.

Your plan sounds pretty good. Don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

Are you still on the deed? If you are, you can sue for a partition by sale. This will force your ex to buy you out and refinance.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">