• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to Move Into My First Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuiedaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

Currently I am living with my parents in Omaha, Nebraska. I am 18 years old and the age of majority in my state is 19. I work over 40 hours a week and am very financially independent. I have gotten to the point of just simply wanting to have some independence and want to move out into an apartment with a friend from work. I am a senior in highschool right now and plan on going to a community college come this fall for two years, where there is no rooming, so it's not like I can just wait until freshman year starts for college most most others. I remember reading online a while back, if I were to "run away" (keep in mind, my parents are alright with this) across the border to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where the age of majority is 18, that I would be considered and adult. So say, just to keep it simple, would I be able to just go to Iowa tomorrow and sign a lease with my friend? Would I still be able to attend the same school since I only have two months left? Also, one more note, there are no emancipation laws here in Nebraska.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

Currently I am living with my parents in Omaha, Nebraska. I am 18 years old and the age of majority in my state is 19. I work over 40 hours a week and am very financially independent. I have gotten to the point of just simply wanting to have some independence and want to move out into an apartment with a friend from work. I am a senior in highschool right now and plan on going to a community college come this fall for two years, where there is no rooming, so it's not like I can just wait until freshman year starts for college most most others. I remember reading online a while back, if I were to "run away" (keep in mind, my parents are alright with this) across the border to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where the age of majority is 18, that I would be considered and adult. So say, just to keep it simple, would I be able to just go to Iowa tomorrow and sign a lease with my friend? Would I still be able to attend the same school since I only have two months left? Also, one more note, there are no emancipation laws here in Nebraska.
**A: so if you "run away", how will you continue school?

stuiedaman

Well, I guess it wouldn't technically be running away as my parents wouldn't report me as one. It's just I want out and my parents want me out and it seems that there is nothing we can do!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can enter in to a legally binding contract or lease at 18:

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=43-2101

stuiedaman

Wait, what is the definition of a minor then? What is it exactly that someone who is 18 years old NOT able to do? I thought the purpose of being a minor was that you cant be legally bound to anything. What am I missing? Hmm...

stuiedaman

Your problem is you may not be legally able to attend your current school, living out of state.
See that was my main concern, even though I only have two months left. I guess if this was the case, I could just wait until I graduate. Anyways, this may not be a problem as I might have found a place that I'm able to move into without signing a lease here in Omaha. I'm about to stray this thread away from Real Estate, but would I still be a dependent if I was living outside the home? What if my parents gave me a monthly amount of money to help me out? Would that cause me to be a dependent?

HomeGuru

It depends. read the IRS definition of the dependent test. If your parents claim you as a dependent for tax purposes based on their support, then it may be hard to argue that. But then again you have not stated specifically what you are trying to achieve outside of moving away from home.

FlyingRon

Nearly all 18 year olds can enter into contracts in Nebraska. Here is the definition

43-2101. Persons under nineteen years of age declared minors; marriage, effect; person eighteen years of age or older; rights and responsibility.
All persons under nineteen years of age are declared to be minors, but in case any person marries under the age of nineteen years, his or her minority ends. Upon becoming the age of majority, a person is considered an adult and acquires all rights and responsibilities granted or imposed by statute or common law, except that a person eighteen years of age or older and who is not a ward of the state may enter into a binding contract or lease of whatever kind or nature and shall be legally responsible therefor.

You ca also get tattooed :)

38-10,165. Body art; consent required; when; violation; penalty.
No person shall perform body art on or to any person under eighteen years of age without the prior written consent of the parent or court-appointed guardian of such person. The person giving such consent must be present during the procedure. A copy of such consent shall be retained for a period of five years by the person performing such body art. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require the performance of body art on a person under eighteen years of age. Violation of this section is a Class III misdemeanor

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

This appears to be one of 2 issues. You want to leave your parents home, in which case I suggest you hold out until graduation or your friend needs a roomy to pay rent now, in which case I suggest you talk to your parents about just giving the friend rent money for a few months, until you can move there fulltime. You can possibly stay in your new place on the weekends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">