• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty of Completion of Construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mandyb

We are about to close on our home in washington state and have some issues that our seller/contractor does not feel are his responsibility to repair and states the warranty of completion of construction is for items that do not "meet code". I strongly disagree but can not find any information telling me what exactly this does cover, can yo utell me where to find this? The other questions I have pertaining to this are 1) should we have an attorney at closing? and 2) do we have a leg to stand on if we do close without an attorney and with only this warranty in hand and nothing in writing stating he'll take care of the other items?
Help please!

HomeGuru

mandyb said:
We are about to close on our home in washington state and have some issues that our seller/contractor does not feel are his responsibility to repair and states the warranty of completion of construction is for items that do not "meet code". I strongly disagree but can not find any information telling me what exactly this does cover, can yo utell me where to find this?

**A: that is a load of BS as in Builder Stupidity. The contract should spell out the applicable warranties which do include building code compliance but also include many other warrantable items including items that do not meet contract documents such as building plans and specifications, zoning ordinances, express and implied warranties, warranties as required by State and Federal statutes, building material and manufacturers warranties, appliance warranties etc.
Check out www.ftc.gov search warranties.

The other questions I have pertaining to this are 1) should we have an attorney at closing?

**A: yes and an attorney should have reviewed your initial purchase contract etc.

and 2) do we have a leg to stand on if we do close without an attorney and with only this warranty in hand and nothing in writing stating he'll take care of the other items?
Help please!

**A: read some true stories from actual homebuyers.
www.hadd.com
www.hobb.gov

Protect yourself as best you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">