• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage in apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arianna

Please review and advise what actual rights I have..This is an email I sent to my Apartment's Office:

Tapers Management,
This is a memo concerning the poor service I have received while residing at the Tapers apartment community.
The first incident that I had concerned a leak in the bathroom under the sink. When I noticed the leak I called the office and I spoke with Jennifer and explained the problem to her.
Problem: There was a leak under the sink and water was gathering in a puddle under the sink.
After my first call, two days had gone by and I called to speak with Jennifer again to explain that the leak had spread underneath the bathroom tiles and into the hallway. Three more days had gone by, I called the office back, and I spoke with Linda who advised me that she had not seen the work order..Linda was later able to locate the work order that Jennifer created. I was told that there had been some confusion with my telephone number and that is why no one had been out there to look at the problem. At this time, a maintenance person was sent out and the problem was resolved.

This current incident: There was standing water in my bedroom and mushrooms had started to grow underneath my CD rack against the wall. The water was concentrated on the left side of the room and had spread almost 2 feet from the wall (min the middle). Once I saw the water damage to the CD rack I immediately called a friend to explain what was going on and I began to remove the components from my entertainment center to review the damage. Once the components were removed, I saw that there was damage under the entertainment center and to another media rack. The water had not yet spread to my bed (which is all wood) so I immediately removed the entertainment center and put it in the living room. Once I did this I noticed that the water began to spread and it had a stagnant smell as if the entertainment center had been holding it at bay. When I realized that I needed to move my bed before the wood was damaged, I stopped to call the emergency maintenance line to see if I could get some help.

A friend and I began to take my bed apart after I called maintenance. I have a waterbed frame that had not been used as a waterbed for quite some time to the back problems that it caused me. I had been using an air mattress and futon mattress in the frame. This is pertinent because there is no water that can come from an empty bed. I received a call back from maintenance and he advised that he would be by within 2 hours. Once he came by, he suggested that the water had come from the bed. I explained that I had no wood damage from the bed, no clothes were damaged in the drawers under the bed and the bed was empty for quite some time. I was advised by maintenance that there was not much that could be done because there was no plumbing were the leak was and my neighbors were having no problems. I understood this and the next day when I came into my apartment he had placed a big fan in the room and opened the windows so he could dry the carpet out. This went on for about 3 days and everything was dry and then after the fan was gone the water came back. I am not sure if it rained or not.
During this time, there was a smell in the room and this was getting into my clothing. Not to mention that I had no use of this room and had to store all of my items in the living room. I was in a studio more or less instead of a one bedroom. I was lucky that the apartment community that I will be moving to, Murifeild Village, was kind enough to let me store the wood from the bed and my clothes on their property. While in the meantime, I have paid $615.00 in rent to my apartment community and have heard nothing more of the matter.
As a tenant here, I have abided by the rules and paid my rent on time and I wonder where the service agreement of addressing a problem in 24-48hours lost its value. Although there was a fan placed in my apartment for 3 days and the water was dried up. The water did return (no presence of a waterbed), my clothes and other items had to be moved, the room had a smell and I had to constantly leave the windows open to get relief from this smell (which kept a constant draft in the apartment), the room is useless to me and I have heard nothing from management or maintenance.
Since the first issue with the water under the sink was not handled properly, I have been videotaping this event from the start as well as the prior event. I have also logged when I have spoken with people and what actions were taken. I am speaking with a legal advisor at this time on this matter. This is unacceptable and no one should have to go through this.
Arianna

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">