• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage- are we liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

townsley48

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california
I bought a home just over a year ago. After the last rains we developed multiple leaks on the bottom story. It was coming out of the ceiling, windows, and electric outlets. We believe the water is getting in through where the deck and the house meet. Half of the deck is sitting on top of a room downstairs which also has leaks. On the ceiling of this room (which is a wood ceiling) there are 2 boards that are discolored. When we bought the house the home inspector said that it wasn't a problem. Now my insurance agent is saying that only an idiot wouldn't of noticed that it was water damage. The seller never disclosed any water or mold problems which we have both. I have a hard time believing that the seller lived here for 13 years and never had any problems and we lived here 1 year and have major problems. Are they liable at all or is this just the way the ball rolls. This is my husband and my first home and are very unexperienced in this matter.
Thank you for any help.

S

seniorjudge

Did you get an inspection when you bought the house?

What does it say about this situation?

HomeGuru

townsley48 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california
I bought a home just over a year ago. After the last rains we developed multiple leaks on the bottom story. It was coming out of the ceiling, windows, and electric outlets. We believe the water is getting in through where the deck and the house meet. Half of the deck is sitting on top of a room downstairs which also has leaks. On the ceiling of this room (which is a wood ceiling) there are 2 boards that are discolored. When we bought the house the home inspector said that it wasn't a problem. Now my insurance agent is saying that only an idiot wouldn't of noticed that it was water damage. The seller never disclosed any water or mold problems which we have both. I have a hard time believing that the seller lived here for 13 years and never had any problems and we lived here 1 year and have major problems. Are they liable at all or is this just the way the ball rolls. This is my husband and my first home and are very unexperienced in this matter.
Thank you for any help.
**A: what did the TDS state about this issue?

townsley48

Yes we had a inspector and the said the area was fine. We now also found out that the house has no permits for the additions and is said to have 1400 sq ft.. The house was represented as 1800 sq ft to us by the seller. In our paperwork he checked the box saying he has no knowledge of the house not having permits for any areas. Since he did the work he obviously knows he didn't get a permit.

HomeGuru

townsley48 said:
Yes we had a inspector and the said the area was fine. We now also found out that the house has no permits for the additions and is said to have 1400 sq ft.. The house was represented as 1800 sq ft to us by the seller. In our paperwork he checked the box saying he has no knowledge of the house not having permits for any areas. Since he did the work he obviously knows he didn't get a permit.

**A: so why did you not get a building permit check prior to closing as part of your due diligence? Now you need to see a real estate attorney.

townsley48

HomeGuru said:
**A: so why did you not get a building permit check prior to closing as part of your due diligence? Now you need to see a real estate attorney.
Whose responsibility was it to check that the building permits match the sq ft. If it was mine I had no idea. I read alot about how to buy a home correctly and I never read such a thing. Thanks.

HomeGuru

townsley48 said:
Whose responsibility was it to check that the building permits match the sq ft. If it was mine I had no idea. I read alot about how to buy a home correctly and I never read such a thing. Thanks.

**A: didn't your Realtor advise you?

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
I disagree. It should be: **A: didn't your Realtor® advise you?

**A: you are politically correct, but on an internet BB website, one does not have to use those trademark/tradename symbols. My keyboard does not have such icons anyway.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

...**A: you are politcally correct, but on an internet BB website, one does not have to use those trademark/tradename symbols. My keyboard does not have such icons anyway....

I am unable to control my own actions....
:D

townsley48

HomeGuru said:
**A: look at your papers and find a document titled Transfer Disclosure Statement.
He didn't disclose any info. on the transfer disclosure statement. And no our realtor didn't advise us to check building permits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">