• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Heater Lease Dilema

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cleokato

When we sold our house we had the person who bought it agree on the contract to take over the water heater lease. So far he hasn't signed and I have rec'd two monthly bills for it. I have called but he doesn't return calls. Should I get the lawyer involved and give him a week to sign a new lease for it? If he doesn't can I have the heater removed? what is the best course of action now?

Thanks for the advise!

T

Tracey

Write the new owner & tell him that if he doesn't sign the lease & pay the back bills by Friday, you'll take the heater. (You can't really take it; that would be theft. You'll have to sue B in small claims court under a theory of unjust enrichment & breach of contract.) You should also have strong words with your agent and/or the title company. Transferring or voiding the lease should have been part of the closing process. Someone screwed up when they let closing go through without changing the lease.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">