• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

linnr01

I own a home in Minnesota and after my home was built, subsequent homes built up their properties, which caused my back yard to become a large drainage basin after rainstorms or in the Spring thaw. There was a petition 3 years ago to get curb, gutter and storm sewer, but 4 of the 12 residents did not want it because the water is "not their problem." The City won't do anything without a neighborhood consensus and they will send the fire department to pump out my back yard several times per year. The rest of the neighborhoods around us have curb, gutter and storm sewer. I do not want this attractive nuisance in my back yard, as the standing water can get to 2 feet deep and take several days to dry out. Are the neighbors responsible for "their" stormwater runoff. Am I liable if someone gets hurt playing in the water? Can the City put in improvements without a consensus? What are my options?

HomeGuru

linnr01 said:
I own a home in Minnesota and after my home was built, subsequent homes built up their properties, which caused my back yard to become a large drainage basin after rainstorms or in the Spring thaw. There was a petition 3 years ago to get curb, gutter and storm sewer, but 4 of the 12 residents did not want it because the water is "not their problem." The City won't do anything without a neighborhood consensus and they will send the fire department to pump out my back yard several times per year. The rest of the neighborhoods around us have curb, gutter and storm sewer. I do not want this attractive nuisance in my back yard, as the standing water can get to 2 feet deep and take several days to dry out. Are the neighbors responsible for "their" stormwater runoff. Am I liable if someone gets hurt playing in the water? Can the City put in improvements without a consensus? What are my options?
**A: the City is giving you the runaround. Write letters to your Council persons and demand relief. You can sue the City if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">