• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waterproofing problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dimoore

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I purchased a home in March of this year and had a home inspection done before closing. The realtor and my finance' whom I purchased the home with were present during the inspection. The inspector noted that the front and side walls of the basement showed signs of water penetration. He noted in his report that the original waterproofing contractor should come out and inspect the area and make needed repairs on the six year old home.

The seller agreed to have the repairs done. An addendum was added to the original contract by the realtor stating that the waterproofing would be repaired in "back right rear of basement". After several weeks of hard, steady rain, it is apparant that the bricks on the front wall of the basement are wet.

This prompted me to pull out the home inspection report and our contract of sale on the home and notice that they don't read the same concerning correcting waterproofing in the basement. It was our impression that the realtor had noted the correct source of the waterproofing problem and that it would be remedied. What if anything can be done at this point?..are we stuck with the expense of correcting this problem or settling for a wet, moldy basement?

I was informed by the realtor a few days ago that no company had been contacted to come out to inspect/correct the waterproofing problem. The seller had a family member to make the "repairs". Is it normal for a six year old home to have waterproofing problems so soon IF it was waterproofed when first constructed?

Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

dimoore said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I purchased a home in March of this year and had a home inspection done before closing. The realtor and my finance' whom I purchased the home with were present during the inspection. The inspector noted that the front and side walls of the basement showed signs of water penetration. He noted in his report that the original waterproofing contractor should come out and inspect the area and make needed repairs on the six year old home.

The seller agreed to have the repairs done. An addendum was added to the original contract by the realtor stating that the waterproofing would be repaired in "back right rear of basement". After several weeks of hard, steady rain, it is apparant that the bricks on the front wall of the basement are wet.

This prompted me to pull out the home inspection report and our contract of sale on the home and notice that they don't read the same concerning correcting waterproofing in the basement. It was our impression that the realtor had noted the correct source of the waterproofing problem and that it would be remedied. What if anything can be done at this point?..are we stuck with the expense of correcting this problem or settling for a wet, moldy basement?

I was informed by the realtor a few days ago that no company had been contacted to come out to inspect/correct the waterproofing problem. The seller had a family member to make the "repairs".

**A: the contract addendum should have been specifc and should have stated..."the waterproofing work shall be completed by a licensed waterproofing contractor and the paid invoice and warranty submitted to the Buyer for approval....."

Is it normal for a six year old home to have waterproofing problems so soon IF it was waterproofed when first constructed?

**A: yes if the contractor did an inferior job, used unskilled labor, did not follow the plans and specifications, did not follow the building code, used inferior building materials, backfilled with improper fill containing sharp rocks and debris that punctured the waterproofing protection board and damaged the waterproofing membrane etc....
Any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

**A: talk to your Realtor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">