• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We want to buy a house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ethbay

PLEASE HELP! My husband and I are 8 months into a 12 month rental agreement. We pay a preposterous amount in rent and want to buy a house. We have found the house of our current dreams, and it's for sale. We want to go for it, but we don't want to pay the remainder of our lease ($4000). There isn't a home-buyer's clause in our agreement. Do we have any choices here? Texas.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ethbay:
PLEASE HELP! My husband and I are 8 months into a 12 month rental agreement. We pay a preposterous amount in rent and want to buy a house. We have found the house of our current dreams, and it's for sale. We want to go for it, but we don't want to pay the remainder of our lease ($4000). There isn't a home-buyer's clause in our agreement. Do we have any choices here? Texas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only cheaper option is to talk to your landlord to see if you can find another tenant to take your place. Then pay for ads and show the place until you find a tenant acceptable to the landlord. Once the new tenant signs the lease with the landlord, you will not be responsible for the remainder of the lease term.

P

peter

NO there is no such clause, and why do you have such a bad attiude......?????

You signed a contract to pay rent for a year...you owe the money because of your pisss poor attiude...

Now if you were SMART and NICE you would approach the landlord and ask NICELY if we could terminate our lease early, AND HELP you find NEW tenants by showing your apartment whenever he puts an ad in the paper.

The process of buying a home is filled with delays.... so whats your hurry UNLESS you are pre approved with a loan, already signed the contract and just waiting to set up the closing, you might just be out of that place by the time your lease ends....if you start the process today!

E

Ethbay

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:

You signed a contract to pay rent for a year...you owe the money because of your pisss poor attiude...

Now if you were SMART and NICE you would approach the landlord and ask NICELY if we could terminate our lease early, AND HELP you find NEW tenants by showing your apartment whenever he puts an ad in the paper.

The process of buying a home is filled with delays.... so whats your hurry UNLESS you are pre approved with a loan, already signed the contract and just waiting to set up the closing, you might just be out of that place by the time your lease ends....if you start the process today!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My goodness, Peter! I hope you're not a lawyer, because you've mistakenly read some sort of negativity in my message.

First of all, there IS such a clause in Texas and it is quite common. It just doesn't happen to be in OUR contract. As far as asking nicely and being smart, since we have both of those qualities, we have no problem going to our leasing agent. We just didn't know it was an option.

Last, we would gladly PAY the remainder of our lease, and the reason for the HURRY is because we ARE pre-approved and ready to sign a contract...the house is a bargain and we don't want to miss out on an excellent opportunity to own our first home. Thanks for your "input" but you give message boards like this a bad name!

P

peter

well your the one who says the rent is preposterous.....

So here is what you do......OFFER to give up your security deposit in exchange for getting out of the lease early, since most places it ts hard to re rent a place in the middle of a month the landlord will NOT lose any rent money by you leaving early...

When is your tenative closing date? then add a few weeks...hey people get sick, hey a judge might call the lawyer and say they have some time for a trial get ready in 2 days..all sorts of stuff will delay your closing... Bad weather hurricane...

So sign the contract THEN set up a tenantive closing date THEN contact the rental agency.....but figure in the loss of your security deposit.

J

jodee

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ethbay:
Originally posted by peter:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My goodness, Peter! I hope you're not a lawyer, because you've mistakenly read some sort of negativity in my message.

First of all, there IS such a clause in Texas and it is quite common. It just doesn't happen to be in OUR contract. As far as asking nicely and being smart, since we have both of those qualities, we have no problem going to our leasing agent. We just didn't know it was an option.

Last, we would gladly PAY the remainder of our lease, and the reason for the HURRY is because we ARE pre-approved and ready to sign a contract...the house is a bargain and we don't want to miss out on an excellent opportunity to own our first home. Thanks for your "input" but you give message boards like this a bad name!
Ethbay, I agree, Peter cannot possibly be an attorney. If he is,call me "Santa Claus"!
He has to be a close relative of Dr. Laura or maybe even a brother to Judge Judy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">