• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BootedOut

My roomates asked me to move out (mid-July)by the end of August, because one roomate is having her boyfriend move in, and that they think 4 people is too much for a 3B/1B house (they are on the lease). They also said that things didn't work out and that it would be best if I moved out. I don't have a lease or rental agreement, but paid rent directly to the landlord for the 6 months I've lived there (except first month I moved in and this month-Aug). What are my rights in this situation? I know it is futile to live somewhere that I am not wanted, but what if I didn't get a 30 day notice, do I still have to move? How do I avoid this situation in the next roomate deal?

P

peter

You were given MORE then a 30 day notice...
you have to move by Agust 31st,

How to avoid this again.....have your name on a lease with the landlord

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BootedOut:
My roomates asked me to move out (mid-July)by the end of August, because one roomate is having her boyfriend move in, and that they think 4 people is too much for a 3B/1B house (they are on the lease). They also said that things didn't work out and that it would be best if I moved out. I don't have a lease or rental agreement, but paid rent directly to the landlord for the 6 months I've lived there (except first month I moved in and this month-Aug). What are my rights in this situation? I know it is futile to live somewhere that I am not wanted, but what if I didn't get a 30 day notice, do I still have to move? How do I avoid this situation in the next roomate deal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BootedOut:
My roomates asked me to move out (mid-July)by the end of August, because one roomate is having her boyfriend move in, and that they think 4 people is too much for a 3B/1B house (they are on the lease). They also said that things didn't work out and that it would be best if I moved out. I don't have a lease or rental agreement, but paid rent directly to the landlord for the 6 months I've lived there (except first month I moved in and this month-Aug). What are my rights in this situation? I know it is futile to live somewhere that I am not wanted, but what if I didn't get a 30 day notice, do I still have to move? How do I avoid this situation in the next roomate deal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In general, if you have been paying rent directly to the landlord, you are considered a month-to-month tenant if there is no written lease agreement. Therefore, only the landlord is authorized to give you notice to vacate, which is required to be in writing. Since this was not done, you have not been served with proper notice to vacate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">