+ Reply to Thread
    NLK80 is offline Junior Member

What can I do over a wet basement?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I recently purchased a brand new home in July - new construction - over 400k house. Since then we have had all four walls of the unfinished basement leak, water leaks from piping coming in the house, water coming in from basement door, and water coming in from under the garage door. Water is also seeping up from the middle of the concrete and looks like spots. Now, the home inspector said this happens a lot and is normal when it rains. I beg to differ. It is a new home and a very expensive one at that. The builder just caulked the edges of the walls, but water is still coming in. He painted a few spots with paint, and water is still coming in. This is a good ol boy state and I know he will not fix the basement correctly, and if he has a contractor come in to fix it, it will also been done incorrectly because it will be by someone who does not deal with wet basements. We did an at home water test and it came back at 10 pounds of moisture per sqaure inch. What am I to do now?
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NLK80
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I recently purchased a brand new home in July - new construction - over 400k house. Since then we have had all four walls of the unfinished basement leak, water leaks from piping coming in the house, water coming in from basement door, and water coming in from under the garage door. Water is also seeping up from the middle of the concrete and looks like spots. Now, the home inspector said this happens a lot and is normal when it rains. I beg to differ. It is a new home and a very expensive one at that. The builder just caulked the edges of the walls, but water is still coming in. He painted a few spots with paint, and water is still coming in. This is a good ol boy state and I know he will not fix the basement correctly, and if he has a contractor come in to fix it, it will also been done incorrectly because it will be by someone who does not deal with wet basements. We did an at home water test and it came back at 10 pounds of moisture per sqaure inch. What am I to do now?

I believe I'd be suing the builder/sellers.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    hire a foundation engineer and waterproofing contractor.
    LindaP777 is offline Senior Member
    Insist that the builder waterproff the basement. If you do not have a sump pump, have one put in.
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaP777
    Insist that the builder waterproff the basement. If you do not have a sump pump, have one put in.

**A: sounds like the builder is a sump punk.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like the water table is HIGHER than the foundation.

Any chance this was a modified wetlands?
    and any chance the home inspector you hired is an idiot?
    NLK80 is offline Junior Member
    The inspector may be an idiot in my opinion...My fiance thinks he was ok. Because our foundation was poured prior to installation, the builder wants their tech rep. to do an on site inspection - who we haven't heard from yet. We do have a sump pump. The land was once farm land/wooded. It is in the blue ridge mountains and at the bottom of a mountain range. It was certified as not being on a flood plain. We had a floor leveling/concrete repair estimate at over 12,000 to fix the basement. It is over 1200 square feet. The builder has not responded. I just want to get an attorney and go full force, but my fiance has reservations and wants to give the builder all the time in the world. Any water in a new home is unacceptable to me and this builder needs to be put in his place.