• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Could Happen Later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StarsMoon

We all live in Fla

Hi to all. Just would like to know what hubby and I need to have my parents do or say in this case
My parents want us to move up in panhandle where they are. They want to will us 3 acres of their land and for us to put or build a house on that 3 acres.
The problem is I have 2 brothers. Parents want to will them each 3 acres as well. But, if something happened to parents, siblings tend to get greedy. And, if we live there, put time and money into a home, I don't want to loose our home to the siblings. Just trying to be on the safe side. What needs to be done so in the future my family home would be safe.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks and God bless all.....

HomeGuru

How may acres total do parents own?
If divisible by 3, it would be easier.
If not can they subdivide 3 acres into 1 acre parcels?

StarsMoon

Hi there HomeGuru,

My parents have 9 acres total. They live in a big 4 bdrm house. My step-daddy's mother lives there too. I tend to think that why they want me and my hubby to move there. To take care of them when it's their time to get old. No problem. That's what family is for. Parents have offered (last night) to help build a decent size 2 bedroom home and when their time of fibel come, they want to switch homes. That's fine and all. But, I have brothers. Parents believe that neither one of them(brothers) are going to come back to Fla to live but you never know. Plus, what hapens when tax time comes. Since I would be living on the property, if they both didn't pay their part, I would be faced to cover all of the tax or loose my house? Please enlighten me on this matter. Parents mean well, but could be more trouble then it's worth. But, I do love my parents and want to be there for both of them.
Thank again....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">