• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do if the realtor spent my money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smurf

What is the name of your state? I live in thornton colorado. I inherited a house in ajijic, jalisco mexico. I put it up for sale, and it sold june 24, 2002 for 130,000.00. After the contract was accepted the realtor wired me 100,000. all the closing documents were done on Aug 22, 2002 and sent to me along with a check for 14,000.00. The realtor went on vacation to europe for 1 month. The original documents and check were lost in the mail. I could not contact her and left messages at her office. When she got back oct 03, 2002 she finally called me. She stopped payment on the check and sent out another check with copies of the closing documents. When I received this check the bank stopped payment on it. The realtor says its because the bank thought it was the original check. She sent me out another check on nov 11, 2002. When I received this check I put it in the bank came home and checked my e-mail. The realtor e-mailed me telling me that there was not enough money in the account to cover the check. It bounced. She said that another check from another buyer had not cleared. That deal fell through and she offered to pay me 6% on the money since Sept. and would pay me when she could. It is now the end of Janurary and I haven't seen a dime of the money. She e-mailed me and said she would have 3000.00 of the money for me in Feb. I think she spent my money on her vacation. Is there anything I can do. Should I hire an attorney? Some of me friends tell me that this is fraud and embezzlement. She is a u.s. citizen, but she lives in mexico. The bank the checks came from is in the u.s.

HomeGuru

smurf said:
What is the name of your state? I live in thornton colorado. I inherited a house in ajijic, jalisco mexico. I put it up for sale, and it sold june 24, 2002 for 130,000.00. After the contract was accepted the realtor wired me 100,000. all the closing documents were done on Aug 22, 2002 and sent to me along with a check for 14,000.00. The realtor went on vacation to europe for 1 month. The original documents and check were lost in the mail. I could not contact her and left messages at her office. When she got back oct 03, 2002 she finally called me. She stopped payment on the check and sent out another check with copies of the closing documents. When I received this check the bank stopped payment on it. The realtor says its because the bank thought it was the original check. She sent me out another check on nov 11, 2002. When I received this check I put it in the bank came home and checked my e-mail. The realtor e-mailed me telling me that there was not enough money in the account to cover the check. It bounced. She said that another check from another buyer had not cleared. That deal fell through and she offered to pay me 6% on the money since Sept. and would pay me when she could. It is now the end of Janurary and I haven't seen a dime of the money. She e-mailed me and said she would have 3000.00 of the money for me in Feb. I think she spent my money on her vacation. Is there anything I can do. Should I hire an attorney? Some of me friends tell me that this is fraud and embezzlement. She is a u.s. citizen, but she lives in mexico. The bank the checks came from is in the u.s.

**A: this website deals with US law covering US properties only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">