• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the mn state statute that allows a married couple to homestead 2 homes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beschkm0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hi,
I've married a man who lives in Aitkin County and I live in Anoka County MN. I work in Minneapolis and it is way to far to commute. My husband is retired but has been elected as the leutenant of the Aitkin County Sheriff's Posse and has been elected as the Preseident of the McGregor Area 1st Responders and is an active 1st responder. His duties require him to remain close to McGregor. I've been told that there is a MN State Statute that would allow a married couple to homestead 2 properties when work requires them to be a certain distance apart. I've also heard that the law was enacted for politicians so I'm interest in the history; as a side note.

FarmerJ

Welcome to the Web site of Anoka County, MN shows its down from up here , but Aitkin county web site is working Property Tax Programs in Aitkin County it list the major ones for homestead classification but as it says the assessors office can answer other questions. At best I would imagine one home would be treated as second home for taxation sort of like how cabin peoples property taxes are done. But the assessors office can tell you more. I dont think what either of you do for a living is going to really impact your Ptax bills the only big thing that will have a impact on Ptax is if the Aitkin county home is on a lake. If it is on a lake then your better off allowing that one to be the one that gets the benefit from regular homestead rate. I know one of the other exemptions that was in place for second homes allowed for a lower rate is when a relative lives in a home you own , like a parent or even a adult child (unless that was undone by legislature) ) Your free to search Hennipen co web site too since they may actually have more detailed information if you cannot wait until Aitkin or Anoka`s county offices are open tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">