• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights to a relative's apt.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MCRAFF

My husband and I have the opportunity to move into his grandmother's apartment in NYC. The only problem I feel we are facing is his grandmother has not had a lease in years and lives under rent control. What are our rights, if any, to the apartment? Can we keep the apartment under rent control? If we live in the apartment for a while are we entitled to any squatters' rights? How much adversity can we expect? Thank You.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MCRAFF:
My husband and I have the opportunity to move into his grandmother's apartment in NYC. The only problem I feel we are facing is his grandmother has not had a lease in years and lives under rent control. What are our rights, if any, to the apartment? Can we keep the apartment under rent control? If we live in the apartment for a while are we entitled to any squatters' rights? How much adversity can we expect? Thank You.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No written lease agreement means that your grandmother is on a month-to-month lease. Talk to her landlord about you both moving in on the condition that all 3 of you get a fixed lease. That way you get a long term lease and all tenants are legal. You are not entitled to squatters rights. You get squat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">