• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

j86442

Texas

My personal property was taken out of my storage closet at my apartment complex.

There was a bookeeping error and I have not been paying for the storage since march.

Because of the bookeeping error on the part of the property management company - my storage closet was not recorded in the same book that the other storages were. Therefore, they assumed that the property belonged to a previous tenant that had abandoned when the went to lease the closet to someone else.

My items were put into a maintenance garage that the entire maintenace staff had access to and that is sometimes left open and unnatended.

I was never notified that my I was underpaying and in the process of my property being moved, approximately $1000 of property is now missing. It was not until I opened the closet and found someone elses things in there that I knew something was wrong.

I filed a police report and a claim with the property management companies TPA (they have a 100k self insured retention) and they denied my claim stating that they have no proof that the missing items were ever there. They want receipts and the like. Who keeps receipts for things in their garage?

What is the next step?

HomeGuru

j86442 said:
Texas

My personal property was taken out of my storage closet at my apartment complex.

There was a bookeeping error and I have not been paying for the storage since march.

Because of the bookeeping error on the part of the property management company - my storage closet was not recorded in the same book that the other storages were. Therefore, they assumed that the property belonged to a previous tenant that had abandoned when the went to lease the closet to someone else.

My items were put into a maintenance garage that the entire maintenace staff had access to and that is sometimes left open and unnatended.

I was never notified that my I was underpaying and in the process of my property being moved, approximately $1000 of property is now missing. It was not until I opened the closet and found someone elses things in there that I knew something was wrong.

I filed a police report and a claim with the property management companies TPA (they have a 100k self insured retention) and they denied my claim stating that they have no proof that the missing items were ever there. They want receipts and the like. Who keeps receipts for things in their garage?

What is the next step?
**A: sue their freakin assets in Small Claims Court.

J

j86442

Re: Re: What would you do next?

HomeGuru said:

**A: sue their freakin assets in Small Claims Court.
What defense would I use when they say "Prove those things were in there"?

Thanks

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: What would you do next?

j86442 said:

What defense would I use when they say "Prove those things were in there"?

Thanks
**A: attach your notarized affidavit with your inventory list of all inventoried storage items listed in numerical order and described by description of item and estimated value.
Ex:
1. Goodbuy tennis racket $50
2. Hillary 6 man tent $200

J

j86442

Re: Re: Re: Re: What would you do next?

HomeGuru said:

**A: attach your notarized affidavit with your inventory list of all inventoried storage items listed in numerical order and described by description of item and estimated value.
Ex:
1. Goodbuy tennis racket $50
2. Hillary 6 man tent $200
Minus the notary (which I could get) this is essentially what I've done already - I CC:'ed the property company in on the police report itemization of all items missing with values.

That is where they told me to go fly a kite

HomeGuru

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What would you do next?

j86442 said:

Minus the notary (which I could get) this is essentially what I've done already - I CC:'ed the property company in on the police report itemization of all items missing with values.

That is where they told me to go fly a kite
**A: hello? Are you reading my posts?

J

j86442

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What would you do next?

HomeGuru said:

**A: hello? Are you reading my posts?
Yes - Can you explain the point of the last one?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">