• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the worst that can happen? (please help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Visiblu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hello everyone, i need some advice. here's my long story short...

my agent promised me a room for rent, but gave it to someone else the day i moved to D.C. from CT. he had another room more expenseive.. so with nowhere to go.. He agreed to lower price if i paid 3 months rent w/ sec. deposit. I agreed. I filled out application, and made a check for the $45 application, and sec. deposit, and another check that i previously combined first month's, and application. So i told him i didn't have any more checks but could get them in next day.. he said i have until friday until we sign the lease.

So as of now, i had not signed any lease.. just application.

being upset at the room, i decided to look for new rooms for rent, and found cheaper ones in the next county. i told him of the news and even offered to pay him $100 for letting me stay the night and he said no problem. I asked him to give me the checks back (except application check), he said he couldn't do that until they cleared. my parents didn't trust him, so they cancelled all checks. i left him a voicemail of the news.

He now says i need to give him a check of the application fee($45), the one night stay ($100), and the cancellation his bank charged him with which was $35($105) per check, which somehow he added to $115.

He says, he's not reporting me to his Realtor office because they usually would charge the security deposit for "fraud" on breaking the contract.

Here is my question(s)..

1) why would a bank charge the person who was trying to cash a check?

2.) I did not sign a lease contract, only application. What can his offices do?

.. and i offered to pay the 100 for one night stay. everything we did was verbal except the app.

what are my options..
thank you.

Visiblu

.. and also.. he refused to give/show me any type of documentation that he got charged $35 for each check that was cancelled.

just makes his case more untrusting to me. and i don't know b/c i don't know if banks can do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">