• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when does a lease/contract begin (NM)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iambutter

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I was planning on moving to las cruces, new mexico from Utah. I visited last month, found an apartment, gave a deposit ($700) and about ten days ago signed/faxed the lease. Since then my situation has changed and I no longer need to move.

When does a lease actually begin? I understood that in taking possesion of the property that officially began a lease. Am I mistaken? The rental company claims I am obligated by the terms despite the fact that I have not yet taken possesion. I am willing to pay some of the deposit for breaking the agreement but seven months of rent is not possible. Any recourse?

(sorry for the posts in multiple groups. Several could hold the answer and I want to reach as many potential answers as possible.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">