• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When you buy a house/land do you retain the mineral or other rights ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KmanStuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I own a home and was wondering if I own the mineral rights & other natural resource rights (gas, thermal, metals, etc.) along with the house ..

I think I have a natural gas source underneath my property & would like to tap into it for home heating. Who knows, maybe I'll strike oil? lol

justalayman

it would all depend on what was deeded to you. In many cases, all rights to the property are transferred. In others, especially where there is the possibility of mineral deposits involved, the mineral rights, or any other, could be reserved by the seller. To know which it is in your situation, your deed may allow you to conclude you own all rights. If it doesn't, a title search would be required to determine if the mineral rights were reserved by another at some time.

KmanStuck

it would all depend on what was deeded to you. In many cases, all rights to the property are transferred. In others, especially where there is the possibility of mineral deposits involved, the mineral rights, or any other, could be reserved by the seller. To know which it is in your situation, your deed may allow you to conclude you own all rights. If it doesn't, a title search would be required to determine if the mineral rights were reserved by another at some time.

Thanks for the reply .. would the paperwork show this when I purchased the property? I don't recall any mention of mineral rights being witheld.

justalayman

you would have been given a deed. That is where I would start.

Why do you suspect you have NG under your property?

You should know that there have been others that thought the same thing only to find the high pressure NG trunkline that ran on their property was leaking.:eek:

antrc170

The deed will hold the answer. I have never purchased a home where I had any mineral rights. It has been my experience that mineral rights are often retained generations back. When I purchased my last home the mineral rights went back so far that my attorney didn't have a clue who actually owned them (although to his credit he didn't put much time in it because it didn't really matter).

I suggest gathering the documents and having an attorney or qualifed realtor review them with you so you understand what rights you do have with the property.

justalayman

just the opposite here. I, nor anybody I know, has ever purchased land that did not include the mineral rights and I just found out that there is (on average) more NG in my state than California per square mile.

antrc170

just the opposite here. I, nor anybody I know, has ever purchased land that did not include the mineral rights and I just found out that there is (on average) more NG in my state than California per square mile.
I think that the mid-west is still really "oil" paranoid and people have kept the rights even though I highly doubt that there is any oil in my little backyard.

justalayman

I think that the mid-west is still really "oil" paranoid and people have kept the rights even though I highly doubt that there is any oil in my little backyard.
there are actually at least a dozen oil wells within 40 miles of me. I think I'm on the wrong side of some subterranean formation that divides the oil so I do not have oil on my property though.

antrc170

there are actually at least a dozen oil wells within 40 miles of me. I think I'm on the wrong side of some subterranean formation that divides the oil so I do not have oil on my property though.
well, if you find any I'll split it with you 50/50.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">