• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for sidewalk inury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In California, and more specifically Los Angeles city, who is liable for sidewalk injury. If you have water, or leafs on the sidewalk and a person falls and gets injured. Is it the owner of the property or the city that is liable?

I tried to search for law, but can't find it. It's an argument between friends and trying to find out who is right on this issue

TIA

tranquility

The question cannot be answered without more facts. Besides, sometimes accidents happen. It very well could be the person who fell's fault. Well, not fault, but responsibility.

JETX

In California, and more specifically Los Angeles city, who is liable for sidewalk injury. If you have water, or leafs on the sidewalk and a person falls and gets injured. Is it the owner of the property or the city that is liable?
Neither party is inherently liable. There would have to be negligence or malice.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I tried to search for law, but can't find it. It's an argument between friends and trying to find out who is right on this issue

TIA
**A: is this a law school question?

randomguy

**A: is this a law school question?
NO, it's not! as I never been to law school.

Basically wanted to know if law exist in los angeles, that makes homeowner responsible for condition of the sidewalk. I know in other stats, that when it snows you have to clean the snow off the sidewalk or you will be fined and can be sued if someone takes a fall as result of you not clearing the sidewalk. Does Los Angeles, have same type of laws on the book?

HomeGuru

NO, it's not! as I never been to law school.

Basically wanted to know if law exist in los angeles, that makes homeowner responsible for condition of the sidewalk. I know in other stats, that when it snows you have to clean the snow off the sidewalk or you will be fined and can be sued if someone takes a fall as result of you not clearing the sidewalk. Does Los Angeles, have same type of laws on the book?
**A: yes, there are similar case and statutory laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">