• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns the family farm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coachhunter

I live in NC. My parents deeded their farm land to my brother and me back in NOV 2001. We agreed with our parents that my brother's neice would the entire portion of my brothers at his death and that she would pay me for 1/2 of a small portion of land that held the house she had been living in for 5 years and paying rent against downpayment to my parents. My brother died in Feb 2002, but he had told my parents and me that he had made arrangements that his daughter would get the land. When he died, supposedly the only will he had done dated to 1998 and gave 1/2 his estate to his daughter at the time of the death of his wife. She claims there was no addendums or another will and won't agree to transfer the land. Now I have been told that since the land was deeded only to him and me direct- not including our wives, then at the time of his death, the land reverts to me only. Will you please give me some guildance on what is really the law regarding this?

HomeGuru

How do you and your deceased brother hold title to the property? Look at your deed.
Is it joint tenants or tenants in common.

C

coachhunter

Thanks for responding. The deed does not use the words "joint tenants or tenants in common." It just shows Grantor and Grantee(s) on a General Warranty Deed. Is there some other verbiage that can tell me what I need to be able to give you? Tks
I now realize that in my first question I typed my brothers' neice, hopefully you may have understood that I meant MY neice, his daughter. Tks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">