• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns the gas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robert2050

What is the name of your state? Texas

We recently bought a house in Texas. Contract is a regular residential contract. Two month after closing the previous owner calls the gas company and wants a refund for "his" gas. Gas company pays and now the gas company wants money for "their" gas from us otherwise they take the tank (leased tank) from our property. Our thinking is that we bought the property with all improvements and accessories. So, the previous owner sold us the gas, too.

Any idea who is the legal owner of the gas?

FarmerJ

Food for thought Ok since the propane provider should be able to prove that the tank is leased . How many gallons are in the tank now ? How much is the tanks lease per month or yr ? how many other propane providers are there in your area ? is this particular supplier known to be the lowest price all the time ? How much will a competitor charge you to deliver a rental tank and make sure it is connected properly ? did the rental of the tank Include a regulator ? Last it would really stink to come home some friday and want to start dinner and take a warm shower so fair odds are if there is only a few propane companys in the area they all might talk abit to each other and your going to have to have some one for it now that heating season will be comming up . If the gas co gave you a number that you can live with to pay for the gas . perhaps you should just pay it and plan on a new provider when your tank hits 10% If your in a rural /semi rural area check on the things i asked because it would really stink to end up having to buy from company B at higher Per gal than A if A wont provide service to you and allways was lower price but had to come and remove the tank . those things i asked many not answer who owns the gas but may help you decide what to do . good luck to you .

R

Robert2050

Thanks for your reply. Well, to switch the gas company is the next step. They already threatened my wife to pick up the tank. But anyway, does it has to be specifically mentioned in the sales contract between the old owner and us that the gas belongs to us? I'm from Germany and we handle things there a little bit different. If you buy a house you own everything attached to the property. So, if gas is not specifically excluded it belongs to us.

The old owner technically sold the gas twice. First to us and second to the gas company. Doesn't sound right. Anybody has more idea to that case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">