• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who owns this house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monte1x

Detroit, Michigan

My grandmother purchased a house with my mother when I was a kid growing up. Around 1980 my mother moved out. Both of my aunts (my grandmother's other 2 kids) stated that my grandmother bought out my mother's portion of the house but did not take her name off the deed. My grandmother passed away last year. Before she passed away, she told all 3 of her children (my 2 aunts and my mother) that she wanted me and my cousin (my grandmother's other grandson) to inherit the house but she did not create a will.

The house is legally my mother's because she is the only living person whose name is on the deed. My question is, do I have any legal recourse to contest that? My grandmother told all 3 of her daughers that she wanted me and my cousin to have the house. Both of my aunts (my mother's 2 sisters) agree that my grandmother wanted me and my cousin to have the house and are willing to testify to that fact. Is there anything I can do to have this house put in our name (me and my cousin) or have the house split between all my grandmother's remaining children or is it cut and dry that it belongs to my mother?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">