• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for Electric Heaters?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SaraElizabeth

(Ohio) When we first took a look at our current apartment, the rental guy told us that they paid for heat. However, they did not tell us that there were electric heaters in the living room (which were blocked by furniture when we first saw the place). Electric heaters really raise your gas and electric bill. I wish I knew this ahead of time so I could have factored this in to how much this apartment would cost us a month.
Anyway, our lease agreement says that the landlord is responsible for heat, does this mean I can make him pay for the cost of the electric heaters?

P

peter

Well..lets figure this out......

What is your rent? and what is your electric bill? and what are the rents of the neighboring apartments?

How many electric meters are there in the building?

How much was your electric when you didnt use heat or AC? then how much is the difference now?

I would hold him to the lease, and make him pay for a portion of the electricity..UNLESS the rent on the aapartment is $75 or $100 less then other apartments so he figured in the cost by making the rent very cheap.

P

peter

You need to find out how many apartments and how many elctric meters........sometimes there is an EXTRA meter just for the outside lights etc, and maybe the heat that is billed to the landlord and not you.

T

Tracey

Get the power company to send you the last 12 month's usage stats. Compare the amounts of electricity used during months when neither the heat nor AC is on to the usage during winter. The difference is what L hs to pay. Talk to L & agree in writing whether you will dend L a copy of the electric bill & deduct the last month's heat bill from your rent, or submit an invoice for reimbursement within 3 days. Be sure the writing details how you will determine the baseline/non-heat consumption. Also, if L's dumb, specify that L pays any amount over $xx. Since power rates are supposed to double this winter, you'll come out way ahead. If L's a little smarter, then specify that the first xx Kwhrs are yours & any beyond that are L's responsibility.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">