• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ETEX

What is the name of your state? Texas

There is a sewer line leaking on my property and there is a dispute as to who's responsibility it is to fix it. Here are the details:

The city's main sewer line runs along the north side of my property. I have a neighbor to my south and their sewer line runs along the east side of my property, tying into the city's main line at the northeast corner of my property. The line on the east side of my property is leaking. I initially called the city and they told me that the line is my neighbor's responsibility.

I checked my deed for any easements, and there is an easement for the sewer line on the east side of the property, but that easement was granted to the city. I offerred this information to the city, but the worker there (not an attorney) told me that my neighbor is still responsible because that line is for his private service.

I'm wondering if the city should bear the responsibility for repairing this sewer line since they possess the easement. Who is ultimately responsible -- the city, or my neighbor?

Thanks,
Mark

HomeGuru

ETEX said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

There is a sewer line leaking on my property and there is a dispute as to who's responsibility it is to fix it. Here are the details:

The city's main sewer line runs along the north side of my property. I have a neighbor to my south and their sewer line runs along the east side of my property, tying into the city's main line at the northeast corner of my property. The line on the east side of my property is leaking. I initially called the city and they told me that the line is my neighbor's responsibility.

I checked my deed for any easements, and there is an easement for the sewer line on the east side of the property, but that easement was granted to the city. I offerred this information to the city, but the worker there (not an attorney) told me that my neighbor is still responsible because that line is for his private service.

I'm wondering if the city should bear the responsibility for repairing this sewer line since they possess the easement. Who is ultimately responsible -- the city, or my neighbor?

Thanks,
Mark
**A: I would believe what the City is telling you unless you and your neighbor can prove otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">