• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for repairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LemonR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I recently sold my house in December 2014. Approximately 2 months ago I was advised by the buyer that there was an issue with the sprinkler system that the buyer had already had repaired. I had no knowledge that the sprinkler system had not been in working order prior to the sale of my home. I had a retaining wall installed and the pipe that connects the sprinkler system was moved several feet and reconnected. I did not disclose the moving of the sprinkler pipe as I believed it was in working order. The sprinkler was not tested as it was November in MN and the system would have needed to be blown out. I had not used the sprinkler for 2 years as the city doubled our water bill. The buyer had an inspection done and nothing was noted regarding the sprinkler system. As I said, I had no knowledge that the sprinkler system was not working and the buyer did not notify me in writing prior to making the repairs so that I could attempt to remedy the situation by finding my owner repair person. Am I responsible for paying the bill?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I recently sold my house in December 2014. Approximately 2 months ago I was advised by the buyer that there was an issue with the sprinkler system that the buyer had already had repaired. I had no knowledge that the sprinkler system had not been in working order prior to the sale of my home. I had a retaining wall installed and the pipe that connects the sprinkler system was moved several feet and reconnected. I did not disclose the moving of the sprinkler pipe as I believed it was in working order. The sprinkler was not tested as it was November in MN and the system would have needed to be blown out. I had not used the sprinkler for 2 years as the city doubled our water bill. The buyer had an inspection done and nothing was noted regarding the sprinkler system. As I said, I had no knowledge that the sprinkler system was not working and the buyer did not notify me in writing prior to making the repairs so that I could attempt to remedy the situation by finding my owner repair person. Am I responsible for paying the bill?
Legally? Without reviewing the disclosure documents you provided, I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you aren't.

With that said, how much money are we talking about? If it's not much, maybe the "right" thing to do would be to offer to split the cost...

LemonR

Legally? Without reviewing the disclosure documents you provided, I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you aren't.

With that said, how much money are we talking about? If it's not much, maybe the "right" thing to do would be to offer to split the cost...
Thanks for your reply Zinger. I would be willing to work with the buyer, but he is not cooperative. He is under the assumption that buying a 14 year old home should be in perfect condition. There was an issue with a cross wire in the basement that we have provided the name of a licensed electrician to repair yet the buyer still has not contacted the electrician to fix the issue. We are footing the bill for that issue. It was an issue that we knew about from the inspection when we bought the house, but simply forgot about the issue therefore, not disclosed. I believe he is upset about that issue, and is trying to milk the situation. A side question, does the buyer have to let the seller know in writing if there is an issue prior to having that issue repaired so that the buyer can hire their own contractor to fix it? That was what was done with the electrical issue, but not with the sprinkler.

FarmerJ

if you sold the house at the beginning of winter you have no idea if it was still way too cold out the first time they turned this sprinkler system on where it could have frozen up anyway SO if your still leaning toward assisting with the repair then offer what you were going to in writing in a certified letter and if they wont take it then id suggest you make no other offer and let them prove to a judge in small claims court that there was something wrong with it when they bought the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">