• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for trees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Putterforpar

nc, i have 3 24"-28" on or near our property line, the person that owns the land next to us is developing stores/townhomes on the land. he wants to chop down the larger tree if i will allow it, he will be trimming the limbs hanging over his property regardless. a: should i allow him to do it, b: if i don't, am i responsible if something happens to the tree at a later date due to his cutting into the roots or is he? what are the laws and my rights concerning trees, these trees are extremely old and provide a lot of shade. thank you

FarmerJ

Large mature trees that provide shade are a major $ asset in selling property . ( this is only a rule of thumb so to speak In most places tree limbs that interfere with a neighbors use of there parcel or for example limbs that rub a roof can be trimmed as long as the trimming is done in such a manner that it doesnt cause the tree to die ). As far as local laws go best thing is allways get the right Info for your home state , Also local set back laws likely will prevent too much damage from foundation digging to the roots since they will have to have the units set back a certain amount from the lotline . call your city /county Govt center and ask them what those set backs are . Food for thought now the tree you mentioned that builder would like to cut down is it healthy ? If the tree has no sign of disease or age related dying or weakness like stress crack lines in the bark then its worthwhile keeping it , If the tree does show signs of illness or stress crack line in the bark It will come down sooner or later like in a severe wind storm and it might be worth while allowing the tree to be removed and replaced with new by the builder . But do make some calls to see =what or if there are any local laws pertaining to tree trimming, as well as to learn what the set backs are .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">