• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's drive is it anyway?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gentleben

Who can give/deny permission?!
I live in Seattle Washington and own a home which was granted a specific use easement by my previous next door neighbor (about 15 years ago) before I bought the house and before he died. Since then a new neighbor moved in about 13 years ago. The terms of the recorded easment are that it is a specific use easement, the land to be used as a driveway onto my property. His house was on the corner, my house was one house in. Our front yards are steep hills and the easement is from the sidestreet into the back yard. In return, my next door neighbor was given the same amount of my land for a garden, a pathway and a fence (also recorded as specific use). They were reciprocal easements. $5000.00 also was exchanged to the neighbor as well. Now a third neighbor, who has just bought the house behind my corner neighbor and across the drive (this house borders the driveway) wants me (or someone) to grant them an easement in order to put two balcony's on the side of their house. Their house sits on a lot which only has 5 feet of land bordering the house on each side). These balconies would come right to their property line and so the city has told them they may not do it unless they get an easement of 5 feet for "breathing room?" from the driveway. The balconies will be about 15 feet and 25 feet off of the ground respectively and will run along the property line of their property and our easement line. I'm not crazy about the idea for both privacy and safety reasons but who has the say in this matter? The owner who gave us the easement or us?
Any ideas? Thank you for your considerationi n advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">