• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

widening roads in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theladyswann

The county (PG) is planning to widen the road that fronts my house in the next 18 months. Unlike my other neighborsm my block has less frontage (front yard)available for this expansion. I was told that if needed the county would offer me the fair market value for my home. I was told by others that a lawyer could get me more than whatever they offer...? thanks for your help

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theladyswann:
The county (PG) is planning to widen the road that fronts my house in the next 18 months. Unlike my other neighborsm my block has less frontage (front yard)available for this expansion. I was told that if needed the county would offer me the fair market value for my home. I was told by others that a lawyer could get me more than whatever they offer...? thanks for your help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double check your survey to make sure the county does not already own the land or already have a road widening easement. Call the county office right away to discuss this issue. I am surprised that the county has not communicated with you being that the project is only a year and a half away. There are certain legal procedures involved in the taking of private property for public use, the act commonly known as condemnation.

The government is required to compensate the owner fair market value for the property but who is to decide what fair market value is. There have been numerous cases of disagreement as to actual market value of property involved in takings. The county tax appraiser comes up with a low value, the owners appraiser comes up with a high value, mediation goes nowhere, in arbitration, a third appraiser arrives at a totally different in-between value. This scenario may go on for 2-3 years.

It may be true that an attorney could get more than the initial offer (If lower than fair market value) based on their knowledge of the condemnation and takings laws, the legal procedures and real estate and business issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">