• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widow owned home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sacramento12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I have been a widow for 4 1/2 years and inherited my home when my husband died. His name is still on the deed. I am 70 years old. I am living with a younger man to whom I would like to leave my home at my demise. I have two questions: How do I have my late husband's name removed from my deed? What is the easiest way for my friend to inherit my house? Would it simplify matters if we were married? Thank you for your help.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania. I have been a widow for 4 1/2 years and inherited my home when my husband died. His name is still on the deed. I am 70 years old. I am living with a younger man to whom I would like to leave my home at my demise. I have two questions: How do I have my late husband's name removed from my deed? What is the easiest way for my friend to inherit my house? Would it simplify matters if we were married? Thank you for your help.
http://www.alleghenycounty.us/re/mortdeed.aspx

"1.Why should I record my deed?
Under Pennsylvania law, for the transfer of property to be binding on third parties, the deed must be recorded in this office. The purchaser named on the last recorded deed is the current legal owner.

2.Where is my deed?
When a deed is recorded, a permanent record (scanned image) is made and a specific deed book volume and page number is assigned to the deed. The very next working day, the original deed is mailed back to the address placed on the deed by the recording party. This is normally the name of the new purchaser or the attorney or title company who prepared the deed. If you do not have your deed, check with your attorney or title company, or you may obtain a copy from this office. A mail request for a certified copy of a deed is $10.00. If you prefer to come into the office to obtain a certified copy, the charge is $5.00

3.May the Manager of Real Estate change a name on my deed?
NO. The Department of Real Estate is not permitted to change the name on any deed. If you want a name changed, added, or removed, a new deed must be prepared and recorded in this office. Consult with an attorney about preparing a new deed."

and
"6.If my spouse dies, do I need a new deed?
NO. If your deed reads “John Jones and Mary Jones, his wife” and either spouse dies, the surviving spouse does not need a new deed. By operation of law, the surviving spouse automatically assumes full title to the property."

tranquility

It depends on how title was held. What does it say-----exactly?

latigo

Unless you and your deceased husband held title to the home as joint tenants with right of survivorship, then on his death whatever ownership rights he owned passed immediately into his estate where it now sits in limbo.

You will need to consult with a Pennsylvania attorney to learn how to get it out of his estate and into your name. It is not something that you can do, nor your “friend”, whom I’m sure is quite anxious to see it accomplished

THEN take a hard look at this relationship, including talking to your family, friends, clergy, attorney, etc. And don’t let “love” blind reality.

If more elderly women such as you were made aware of their vulnerability, there might be less that become victimized.

Whether you are willing to accept it or not, younger men do not seek out older women for love! It is not the nature of the male beast.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">