• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widower must sell house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mingle

I've recently widowed and cannot keep the home that my husband and I purchased 2 years ago. My husband did not leave a will or an estate. Now his adult children (my stepchildren)want a portion of the sale of the house. The loan for the purchase of the house was soley under our names (my husband
and I). Am I required by Texas law to split the sale of my homestead???

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mingle:
I've recently widowed and cannot keep the home that my husband and I purchased 2 years ago. My husband did not leave a will or an estate. Now his adult children (my stepchildren)want a portion of the sale of the house. The loan for the purchase of the house was soley under our names (my husband
and I). Am I required by Texas law to split the sale of my homestead???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know how you held title to the property? If you held title via tenants by the entirety or as joints tenants, the property is automatically owned by you and does not go through probate. If the property is owned as tenants in common, then your husbands share goes to his heirs in accordance with Texas laws and as directed by Probate Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">