• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife is a Secondary Heir / Primary Heir is Delinquent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HANS0L0

My wife's mother inherited a house from her father in Texas when he passed and my wife was listed as a secondary inheritor. Her mother took ownership of the home and moved in. My wife did not sign any paperwork at any time (for the inheritance or for taking possession of the house). Only her mother signed for the home and accepted the inheritance. Now we are finding out that her mother has failed to pay property taxes and such on the house and might lose it. Is my wife liable for anything? I would not think so as she had no desire to inherit the home and never signed anything to take "ownership".

Thanks

tranquility

My wife's mother inherited a house from her father in Texas when he passed and my wife was listed as a secondary inheritor. Her mother took ownership of the home and moved in. My wife did not sign any paperwork at any time (for the inheritance or for taking possession of the house). Only her mother signed for the home and accepted the inheritance. Now we are finding out that her mother has failed to pay property taxes and such on the house and might lose it. Is my wife liable for anything? I would not think so as she had no desire to inherit the home and never signed anything to take "ownership".

Thanks
From your description, your wife has no ownership rights or responsibilities in relation to the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">