• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's ex boyfriend is being foreclosed upon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T

Help!

My new wife just informed me that she purchased a property several years back with an exboyfriend (in Illinois) She has told me that both their names were on the loan. We just received notice that the property is being forclosed.

He's an unstable alchoholic and potentially physically abusive. (Almost killed her in a DUI related incident) She informed me that they had worked out an agreement where he would stay in the property and pay her rent until he could refinance the property and remove her name from the loan. He not only didn't pay her, or make any attempt to refinance but also defaulted on the mortgage payments.

She is afraid to do anything about this and I'd rather they not come in contact again. I'm not sure what the best path to take.

Is their any way to save my wife's credit rating, my sanity and our marriage?
As her new husband do I bear a legal responsibility to assume the loan?

What happens if the property is forclosed upon?

What can we do?

T

T

Tracey

Well, you're really tying our hands here. :) I think you should consult with a real estate attorney who knows foreclosure laws. It might be possible for her to deed her interest in the house to the bank in lieu of foreclosure. OTOH, this might require the ex's signature.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">