• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife's ex-husband's name still on house mortgage / deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrexrode1971

What is the name of your state? south carolina
My wife's ex-husbands name is still on the deed for the house that I live in with my wife. There is also a second mortgage on the house in my wife's name and her ex. In the divorce decree, the ex was ordered to assume the remainder of that second mortgage. This second mortgage has not yet been paid off. I want to get the deed of the house in mine and my wife's name.
My questions are:
1. Will refinancing the first mortgage get mine and her name on the deed?

2. If we refinance the first mortgage, will the second mortgage have to be paid off or refinanced by the ex?

3. What is the route to take on solving this problem?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

HomeGuru

jrexrode1971 said:
What is the name of your state? south carolina
My wife's ex-husbands name is still on the deed for the house that I live in with my wife. There is also a second mortgage on the house in my wife's name and her ex. In the divorce decree, the ex was ordered to assume the remainder of that second mortgage. This second mortgage has not yet been paid off. I want to get the deed of the house in mine and my wife's name.
My questions are:
1. Will refinancing the first mortgage get mine and her name on the deed?

**A: no because the first mortgage would want the second paid off or accounted for.

2. If we refinance the first mortgage, will the second mortgage have to be paid off or refinanced by the ex?

**A: yes but ex will not be able to refinance since the ledner would want his name on title.

3. What is the route to take on solving this problem?

**A: consult with a mortgage broker.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

**A: ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">