• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will medicaid take my money if I sell my house in MO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

Please edit your post. When you use the preview function on the initial posting it eats your text.

clp611

Thank you for letting me know. :eek: My husband and I own a mobile home in MO. We can no longer afford the upkeep and would like to sell it and move into an apartment. Will medicaid take the profit? What are our options?

FlyingRon

In a word. Medicaid doesn't do that. Recovery occurs after you use medicaid to enter a facility that they have to pay for (and certain other things) and then only after they die. If you use the money to live and pay other medical expenses, this is what they expect you to do with your assets. The one thing you don't want to do is give the money away or otherwise try to hide it when you are trying to make user of medicaid services.

clp611

Thank you for the info. To be clear will we be able to keep medicaid? Our only income is my husband's disability and that isn't much so we would not be able to afford health insurance.

clp611

Sorry to just respond. I get full medicaid benefits. I am fully disabled, but only received SSI until my husband became disabled at which time my SSI was stopped. I was short one quarter to receive full disability benefits. My husband received medicaid and medicare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">