• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will a quit claim null and void my legal rights other issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebird05

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Effective in January, I will be able to see an attorney (work place benefits to help). This will be in regard to some issues that arose from my original purchase of my house. The house is in the name of me AND my boyfriend but he has agreed (rightly I assure you) to quit claim the deed to me. I am the only one on the mortgage as well.

My question therefore, is this – If I execute the quit claim prior to handling the other issue (because I want to do this before he changes his mind) – will my other issue be any more legally null and void than it would or would not have been prior to this quit claim? In other words, will I still be able to legally pursue the issue that has not yet been handled since the original purchase of the home?

I hope I have adequately explained this. Please let me know of any questions you have.
Thank you,
Bluebird05

HomeGuru

bluebird05 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Effective in January, I will be able to see an attorney (work place benefits to help). This will be in regard to some issues that arose from my original purchase of my house. The house is in the name of me AND my boyfriend but he has agreed (rightly I assure you) to quit claim the deed to me. I am the only one on the mortgage as well.

My question therefore, is this – If I execute the quit claim prior to handling the other issue (because I want to do this before he changes his mind) – will my other issue be any more legally null and void than it would or would not have been prior to this quit claim? In other words, will I still be able to legally pursue the issue that has not yet been handled since the original purchase of the home?

I hope I have adequately explained this. Please let me know of any questions you have.
Thank you,
Bluebird05
**A: and what "issue" are you specifically talking about?

bluebird05

Termites - the house had, and maybe still has, termites. But I can't afford to pursue that yet. I also may not be able to afford waiting a month or more to change the title to my name only.
thanks.

HomeGuru

bluebird05 said:
Termites - the house had, and maybe still has, termites. But I can't afford to pursue that yet. I also may not be able to afford waiting a month or more to change the title to my name only.
thanks.
**A: I suggest you take advantage of that attorney.

bluebird05

Exactly. BUT, back to my question. If I get a quit claim or whatever it is called - so the title is no longer in my boyfriend's name AND mine, and rather in mine ONLY - and I do this before I can see this lawyer (the soonest time will be January) - will this take my rights away to pursue the termite issue - which took place when the title/deed was in both of our names.

I know January isn't far away - but in this case, it seems like forever. I really want to get this deed put to my name only - because otherwise I fear for my own financial protection, and I fear losing the house, due to the misdeeds and irresponsibilities of this boyfriend. In other words, I don't want to lose this house that I am paying for because he seems to be good at running into trouble. However, I also do not want to lose my legal rights to pursuing the termite issue, because of having the quit claim. I want to know if the "order of events" will matter, or not.

thanks,
bluebird05

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">