• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Windows in Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maggie Moo

I live in Wisconsin and recently moved into a brand new apartment. The apartment is part of a store. Unfortunatley I am on the ground floor and the window they put in my apartment cannot be opened. I do not have air. I am concerned about the heat in the upcoming summer. Does my landlord need to provide me with some sort of ventilation or do I just roast? Any laws, let me know.

D

David J. Miller

I am not an attorney so this is speculation.

I'm sure your situation falls under several laws, not the least of which is local fire code and local housing code. Without a specific knowledge of these laws, common sense tells me it is law that a rental property must have a window that opens not only in the living area but also the bedroom, if applicable. I'm sure there must be a back door as well.

Send a letter to the L articulating your concerns and request the matter be remedied immediately. If not remedied, start by contacting the fire deparment and local building authority.

Check back for more information from an attorney on this sight.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maggie Moo:
I live in Wisconsin and recently moved into a brand new apartment. The apartment is part of a store. Unfortunatley I am on the ground floor and the window they put in my apartment cannot be opened. I do not have air. I am concerned about the heat in the upcoming summer. Does my landlord need to provide me with some sort of ventilation or do I just roast? Any laws, let me know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The building code requires proper natural light and ventilation. The fire code requires adequate means of fire escape. If the window is supposed to be a means for fire escape then you have another problem in addition to no ventilation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">