• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawing from Homeowners Association?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Windik1

I really liked our neighborhood until now. We live in a private community where there are 26 property owners with lots ranging from 3 acres to 100 acres. Every owner is supposed to abide by Bi-Laws. Unfortunately, they don't!
My question is why do I have pay regime fees and abide by the rules when everyone else does not? What are my chances of withdrawing from the association, and how would I go about it?

Wendi
South Carolina

HomeGuru

Bi-Laws are for gays.
You mean By-Laws. You can not arbitrarily decide to withdraw from the HOA. Your C, C & R's most likely prohibit that. Get on the Boards case or be on the Board.

W

Windik1

Oops! So sorry!!
I AM on the board, as well as my husband! We have dealt with these people for over 5 years and are honestly FED up with the whole situation!! Your advise is appreciated!

HomeGuru

C'mon Wendi, you're not walking softly and carrying a big stick. A broomstick. You need to be a witch spelled with a capital B. Hubby needs to be The Enforcer. Have the HOA hire an attorney and send these violators compliance demand letters (or MC hammer letters as David likes to call them) Follow up with these people and fine them. Then when they refuse to comply file legal action. And when they refuse to pay the fines have the attorney file liens on their properties. If they still don't want to listen, the attorney can file foreclosure on their property.

The Board has been too lax. Like they took grande mucho Exlax and are now running for the border rather than dealing with the problems head on. You can do it. Stand up and take back the neighborhood. That's the way. Oh, watch out how you swing that broom. You almost got me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">