• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worst "wedding gift" ever - Florida timeshare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TimeshareGroom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Great forum. I appreciate in advance any advice for how to resolve this situation that was thrown at me.

Facts
Wife and I were deeded a timeshare in Florida as a wedding gift from my aunt. The title owner was my aunt's friend. Title was transferred in Maryland from my aunt's friend to my wife and I via quitclaim deed, notarized, and sent to Florida timeshare office. Neither my wife nor I knew of any of these actions done on our behalf until after the paperwork was filed and we started receiving billing statements from the timeshare management. Aunt served as witness to the proceedings. We notified aunt that the gift was not being accepted by us, and after some family intervention, we were assured that our names would be removed from the title. At this point, I have no clue on the status of anything. Again, my wife and I have NO interest in this property. Aunt currently retains possession of the actual title (although we have a faxed copy sent by the timeshare company) and I have not received a response from her regarding status of this.

Issues
Is this property conveyance valid without our signature, consent, or knowledge?
How do we get ourselves removed from the deed? Do we need the actual deed?
What is my aunt's legal liability for any of the actions that she initiated? If the original title is required, how do I get it from her?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm worried that this won't get taken care of and I'm concerned about the financial impact it will have on my wife and I (credit score, financial obligation, etc.) Would I be correct in assuming that theft, fraudulent misrepresentation, and tortious interference could be something to pin on my aunt if it comes to that. It's an ugly situation, and an awful wedding gift!

justalayman

you do not have to accept something that somebody wants to deed to you. Grantors and grantees all must sign a deed.

as it stands, you shouldn't have to do anything as the deed is not complete without your signatures.

"title" is not a tangible thing. You gain title by having property deeded to you . You relinquish title by deeding the property to another party.

Would I be correct in assuming that theft, fraudulent misrepresentation, and tortious interference could be something to pin on my aunt if it comes to that.
HUH??

she tried to give you something. How do you come up with all of those torts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">